Monday, May 16, 2011

Testing Comcast's Premium Business Internet Speeds

So today, after much to do I finally received the Comcast install of the premium internet package services for Businesses.  I have had a Comcast internet connection in the past, however I had not had what they refer to as the premium business package, since the restructuring of how they now divvy up their bandwidth to customers.  I believe the changed bandwidth procedures a few years back, offering higher and lower tiered bandwidth speeds to customers who's needs varied.  So I wanted to test it out and get SOME REAL NUMBERS!

Pre Speed Test Notes About My Previous Comcast Connection Speeds


I was never quite happy with the connection speeds I had in the past.  I found that under peek circumstances, when the sun was shining, and the birds were singing, sometimes I would actually receive the bandwidth that was promised me.  So I wanted to see exactly how much speed I was getting, and if it was in fact what I am paying to receive!

THE SPEED TEST


So with my Comcast Premium Business Class Internet Package read and willing, I fired up http://speedtest.net/ , which is a great site to test your connection speed, both download and upload, as well as see your ip address.

Testing Comcast Internet Speeds On A Single Computer


I connected a single machine to the comcast router modem duo box and tested.  I received a little over 27mpbs download, a little over 7.5mbps upload, with a 5ms ping time.  These speeds were acceptable! It's actually a little higher than what was promised.  Now that I have a base to work from, I will be continuing to setup my new internet connection over the next few days.

I purchased 5 Static IP Addresses with the premium internet services, so over the next few days I'll be setting up servers.  I'll check back in and let you know how I make out with server setup. Hopefully they aren't blocking ports, as they promised!

No comments:

Post a Comment